Janice Mary Gleeson was born on October 20, 1935 at Richmond, Victoria, to John and Sybil (nee Ikin) Gleeson. Janice was the first child in a family of three girls.
When Janice reached school age, she attended Vaucluse Convent Primary School at Richmond and continued her secondary education there until she transferred to Santa Maria College Northcote, where she met the Sisters of the Good Samaritan for the first time.
As a teenager Janice was involved in her local parish as assistant sacristan and trained the altar servers. It was during these years that she decided to seek admission to the Sisters of the Good Samaritan.
On July 2, 1953 Janice began a new phase in her life as she joined the other young women at the novitiate at Pennant Hills, New South Wales. She was given the name of Sister Mary Phillip, but when the opportunity arose to revert to her baptismal name, she was once again known as Janice.
On January 6, 1956, Janice made her profession of vows and moved to St Scholastica’s Training College at Glebe Point. At the end of that year she gained her Certificate of Teaching and commenced a ministry of teaching in both primary and secondary schools in South Australia and Victoria.
During her years of teaching she completed her Bachelor of Arts and Diploma of Education. She learnt to reach out to her students gently, in love and compassion.
Janice was the superior of the Reservoir community from 1979 to 1981, and of the Thornbury community from 1982 to 1987. While living at Thornbury, Janice undertook studies in adult education in 1982, having completed her Bachelor of Theology the previous year. During that period she worked at the Catholic Adult Education Centre, Melbourne.
As a Pastoral Associate in the Parish of St Martin’s Rosanna from 1988 to the end of 1993, Janice generously shared her expertise and was a spiritual guide and support to the many parishioners with whom she came in contact. Also at that time she coordinated and supported a group of Good Samaritan Associates.
During 1994 an opportunity came for Janice to undertake studies in Clinical Pastoral Education, and for the next 15 years she devoted herself to work in this area particularly in Clinical Pastoral Education at the Royal Women’s Hospital and Clinical Pastoral Education supervision at the Anglican Centre Melbourne.
In 2000 she gained a Master of Ministry from the Melbourne College of Divinity.
In January 2010, Janice moved to Marian House for a short period before transferring to Villa Maria Bundoora in February 2011.
Janice died on January 1, 2016 aged 80 years and in the 63rd year of her religious life. She would have celebrated her diamond jubilee of profession on January 6, 2016.
Janice is survived by her sisters Carol and Terri and their families, and will be remembered with love and gratitude by all her Good Samaritan Sisters and Oblates.