Ruth Maund was born in Paddington on March 31, 1917, one of ten children. Her parents were Roeallan George and Mary Agnes (nee D’Arcy) Maund. When she was only three months old, the family moved to Lismore because of her father’s employment as railway guard. Subsequent promotions in this employment saw the family move to Kempsey for one year and then in 1927 to Sydney.
Ruth’s record of school life shows that at an early age she had a wide experience of religious congregations. Her primary education began with the Presentation Sisters at St Carthage’s School, Lismore, followed by a short time with the Sisters of Mercy at Kempsey, and later with the Dominican Sisters at Strathfield. Ruth returned to the care of the Presentation Sisters at Holy Innocents School, Croydon for a time.
When her parents finally built the family home at Brighton-le-Sands, Ruth completed her primary education with the Sisters of St Joseph at Rockdale.
Ruth then enrolled at a business college, and upon graduation, secured a position with the Royal Automobile Club of Australia where she remained until, in 1939, she approached her Parish Priest, Monsignor J. J. McGovern to discuss her wish to join a religious community.
When a visit to the Benedictine Nuns at Rydalmere did not immediately attract, Monsignor McGovern wrote a letter of introduction to an “active Benedictine” congregation, the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. Ruth took this letter to the appropriate person at St Scholastica’s, Glebe Point, and on July 2, 1939 joined the Good Samaritan Novitiate at Pennant Hills, beginning this new phase of her life as Sister Mary Philippine.
She made her first profession of vows on January 6, 1942. Ruth would later be joined by her sister Helen, who made her profession of vows as a Sister of the Good Samaritan on January 6, 1947.
After obtaining her Certificate of Teaching at St Scholastica’s Teachers’ College in 1942, Ruth began her ministry of teaching which would continue for some 28 years and take her to schools in New South Wales, Victoria, the Australian Capital Territory and Queensland.
In 1972, Ruth embarked on another significant ministry – that of care of the aged, spending periods caring for the Sisters both at Nyanza Nursing Home, Lourdes Hill Convent, and at The Pines, Carseldine.
Over a number of years Ruth offered her pastoral gifts to the people of the Oakey, Balmoral, Bulimba, Camp Hill and Wilston parishes.
Ruth’s final transfer was to St Catherine’s Hostel, Eastwood, where with her sister Helen and other Good Samaritan Sisters, she lived happily until her death on Friday, April 17, 2015.
Ruth is survived by her sister Helen Josephine, a member of the Congregation, and by her niece Mary-Anne Warner and her four children, and she is remembered with love and gratitude by all her Good Samaritan Sisters.