Hannah Teresa Hyland was the youngest child of Patrick and Elizabeth (née Sugan) Hyland, joining five brothers and four sisters, when born at Toolong, near Port Fairy, on November 15, 1922.
She received her early education at Toolong State School and at St Patrick’s Primary School in Port Fairy. Later she would spend some time as a boarder in the secondary school at St Brendan’s High School, Coragulac.
Early in 1945, Teresa (as she was called) acted upon a long-felt desire to devote her life to God in the religious life and wrote requesting admission to the Novitiate of the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. This request was granted, and on July 2 of that same year, she began a new phase in her life and was given the religious name of Sister Mary Remigius. When the opportunity came later to revert to her baptismal name she was once again known as Teresa.
On January 6, 1948 Teresa made her profession of vows, and after gaining teacher registration, began a ministry of 35 years in classrooms from inner-city schools in Sydney and Melbourne to the quieter surrounds of Crystal Brook, South Australia. During these years Teresa also served on occasion in the office of school principal or superior of her current community.
These years were interrupted by a period of six years, 1976-1981, when Teresa was appointed Provincial Superior of sisters in what was then designated the country province of New South Wales.
Following her retirement from active classroom ministry, a year of study at the National Pastoral Institute in Melbourne was used to advantage to launch a new outreach in a variety of ministries. The first to benefit from these were the Benedictine Parish and College of New Norcia in Western Australia, where for six years Teresa was engaged in parish outreach and assisted some staff groups at the College, besides being involved in the normal shared duties of her community. Teresa grew to appreciate the richness of the experience that life at New Norcia offered.
When the New Norcia convent was closed at the end of 1991, she moved to Gawler in South Australia. “Being on mission” found new expression for Teresa amongst the country people. Later, at the Ecumenical Mission and the Beachside Community Centre in the Seaford/Moana district Adelaide, her work in the community was much appreciated.
In 1995, Teresa transferred to the Good Samaritan Centre at Coragulac. Here for the next 13 years, she shared with the Centre Team the “day-to-day functioning of the Centre offering hospitality to the many guests” who came to the Centre for study, retreat or rest.
In 2007, she moved to The Mews at South Morang, and finally to Villa Maria, Bundoora on October.
Teresa is remembered with love and gratitude by her nieces and nephews and all her Sisters of the Good Samaritan.
During her long life in the school of the Lord’s service, Teresa lived and ministered in the following places: 1948, Glebe Point; 1949, Chippendale; 1950, Albion Street; 1950, Lawson; 1954, Chippendale; 1957, North Fitzroy; 1959, Kerang; 1964, Crystal Brook; 1970, Northcote; 1972, North Fitzroy; 1976, Campbelltown; 1982, Northcote; 1985, Reservoir; 1986, New Norcia; 1992, Gawler; 1993, Moana; 1994, Seaford Rise; 1995, Coragulac; 2007, South Morang Mews; and 2009, Villa Maria Bundoora.