How do you preserve the Good Sam story?
In order to preserve the story and heritage of the Sisters of the Good Samaritan, the congregation has established comprehensive archives. These archives are housed in the historic Toxteth House in Glebe, an inner-city suburb of Sydney, NSW.
What’s the focus of the Good Sam Archives?
The archives contain the records generated by the sisters and institutions such as schools, orphanages, women’s refuges and homes for the aged and disadvantaged, for which the sisters were and are responsible in Australia, Japan, Kiribati and the Philippines.
What are the major holdings?
- In-house documents from the administrative offices of the Sisters of the Good Samaritan
- Documents relating to institutions for which the Sisters of the Good Samaritan are responsible
- Admission registers and other documents relating to:
- Parramatta Roman Catholic Orphan School, 1877-1886
- Manly Industrial School/Orphanage, 1881-1910
- Mater Dei Orphanage Narellan, 1910-1958
- Crystal Brook Orphanage/Shelter SA, 1940-1979
- Pitt street Women’s Refuge Sydney (House of the Good Shepherd), 1857-1901
- St Magdalen’s Retreat, Tempe, Arncliffe, 1887-1989
- Buckingham St, St Magdalen’s Refuge, 1903-1946
- Good Samaritan Teachers Training College, 1905-1983
- Brief histories and correspondence relating to convents and schools for which the Good Samaritan Sisters are responsible
- Photographs, films, slides, videos, memorabilia relating to the above
- Theses and private publications of Good Samaritan Sisters
Research material on the following topics is contained in the Good Samaritan Archives:
- Archbishop John Bede Polding
- Benedictism in Education
- Catholic Education
- Catholic Social Welfare
- Good Samaritan Overseas Missions: Japan, Kiribati, Philippines, East Timor
- Heritage Buildings: Toxteth House, Glebe Point; Wivenhoe, Camden;
Tempe House, Arncliffe
- History of Good Samaritan Institutions – convents, orphanages, schools,
- Persons of note in the congregation
How do I contact the Archives?
Good Samaritan Archives
PO Box 1076
2 Avenue Road
Glebe Point NSW 2037 Australia
Phone: (02) 8752 5340
International: +61 (0)2 8752 5340
Fax: (02) 8752 5333
International: +61 (0)2 8752 5333